Thursday, March 19, 2015

Home.


This morning I woke up, I laid in my bed with my cat for an extra couple of minutes - enjoying my own bed, the view from my own window and my kitty's purring. I thought about my life, and where I have been. I thought about the things I have done, the happiest moments, the saddest moments and the scariest moments. I thought about when I moved to NYC - knowing next to nothing about the city. I thought about the time I sold everything, packed my car, drove across the country and moved to L.A.
I thought about how these two huge moves scared me less than a 2 month trip to my own local city hospital.
I tried to understand what made this move scarier than the rest. For someone who has traveled to weird places for years, spent time away from home, moved around - why was this so much different?

The conclusion I came to was quite simple. Anywhere I went, any thing I did, I knew that when I was ready to, I could come home. And it would still be home. The difference is now, when I come back home at the end of this stay, my life will be a thousand times different than it has been the last 37 years. I will be a mom. My boyfriend will be a dad. And my life as I know it, will never be the same (in ways I can not yet understand).

I thought about how much has changed in the past year (well, less than a year - whoa.)
Drastic changes. Of all my life, I have never had so much change, in such a short time.
And the one very big, very important thing I have been taught, is that home is not a place.
Home is who you are with.
And although when I return back to my dwelling, my life will be different, but it will also be so much the same.
And it will be home, because I will be surrounded by those I love and those who love me.
This is what makes home, home.
Not a place, not a building, just the love people share.
Families & friends.
So in the meantime, I am in my temporary 'home'.
Where every time a familiar face walks through my door, it feels like home.



Dated: 3/16/15

No comments:

Post a Comment